Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My son is 15. Over the course of the past four-five years my

Customer Question

My son is 15. Over the course of the past four-five years my son has had different neurological ticks. He has had twitiching of his mouth, eye brow raising and now his eyes are an issue. Both of his eyes will roll up and to the side and then come back to looking straight ahead. I have noticed these twitchy symptoms be progressively worse when he has a growth spurt. He is 6" 4 1/2 currently and weighs 200. He plays three sports and is active. When he is stressed or tired the symptoms are worse. He take 20 mg. of aderol durin gthe school week for mild ADHD. Should he see a neurology dotor to address the eyes? This sometime gives him headaches, and slight blurred vision.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. — For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

— I have read your post and observations about your son's ticks. Would you prefer a summary response to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

— In case you were not aware, there is no charge for the time it takes for us to reach an answer that meets your satisfaction. I generally try not to rush any answers, and I hope you will not feel rushed either.

Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

To address your specific question about a need for a neurology doctor to address his eyes, the ticks you're describing are something that probably does not involve abnormalities within the eyes or cranial nerves which control the eyes, themselves. It would not be wrong or inappropriate to make sure the vision is normal, but we see patients with ticks like this all the time, and this is very rarely anything to do with the eyes themselves.

Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

Has any of his doctors trialed him on medications specifically to help with the ticks?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I prefer to email back and forth as I am at work
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

That works for me!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The doctors have said ticks are common in boys his age. They do not feel it is an eye issue at hand, more nerve related. Perhaps a synapsis misfire. We were told the Aderol might help with some of the ticks.
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

Ticks are common, and I'm glad they agree that eye issues are not at hand, and it's more nerve related. Adderall may help, but there is more evidence to suggest that a medicine called an SSRI would help more, a medicine like Prozac. Not for it's antidepressive effects, but people with ticks seem to respond well to these medications too.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if I take him to another doctor, would it be advised to see a family doctor ( who usually dismiss these issues) or someone in the neuro field? In other words, who would you recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 8 days ago.

I have found lousy doctors in all kinds of fields. The specialists are not always kind of thoughtful, nor are the family docs. I think he should certainly follow up with someone who will pay attention to him, and treat him thoughtfully. If you find you can't find such a person, I'm certainly happy to see him through one of my online telemedicine accounts, if you'd like.