Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I have been diagnosed with a cavernous sinus mass, which

Customer Question

Hello. I have been diagnosed with a cavernous sinus mass, which seems to be wrapped around the 3rd cranial nerve, and butting up against the trigeminal nerve. had a lumbar puncture, but only lymphocytes and protein slightly elevated. Doesn't seem malignant, but now i have what seem to be hard lumps on end of cheek bones (zygomatic arch?) in front of both ears, mostly left. also lump on forehead that has been said to be "edema". Just wondering if these lumps can be at all related to the cavernous sinus mass or the nerve involvement. Having a touch time getting any decisions as to what to do with the mass.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: yes. there's all kinds of them
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not sure if it's related, but some seem interested....a lacrimal gland "mass" that mysteriously appeared and then disappeared about 15 years ago thanks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

I am sorry you have this cavernous sinus mass.

it could be malignant.

you need a good closed brain 1.5 or 3.0 tesla MRI scan with contrast to look at the lesion.

the cavernous sinus is a tough area to biopsy.

you need to see a neurosurgeon and radiation oncologist about this pass and have your case discussed at a tumor board for multidisciplinary discussion.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have had a few MRIs, and they did find the nerve involvement and think that it's most likely a meningioma or schwannoma, but they didn't see these lumps on the zygomas, which are really large. i have seen the neurosurgeon, who did the spinal tap. they didn't feel that my symptoms of vertigo and headaches and eye pain were caused by that mass, but now we see there is nerve involvement. I'm frustrated. Thinking of seeing an ENT, just to rule out other reasons for zygoma swelling/lumps. Feeling rather limited for neuro specialists in my area

hard lumps on your cheek bones most likely not related to your cavernous sinus mass

cavernous sinus mass wrapped around the 3rd cranial nerve would cause blurry vision and eye muscle paralysis.

the mass itself growing can cause eye pressure.

even benign meningiomas or schwannomas can grow and cause local pressures.

external beam radiation therapy could stop it from growing if there are signs it is growing.