Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

This is a question regarding my fiance. I'm very worried, he

Customer Question

Hello there, this is a question regarding my fiance. I'm very worried, he refuses to visit a doctor. The symptoms are the following:
1. Right hand tremors
2. Seizures sometimes when he's on the couch, relatively minor ones
3. Mumbling nonsense during nighttime when he's laid down like he's sleep talking and only hears me after I talk 3 or 4 times
4. Last night after he was napping on the couch, he woke up to take his bath, the water was heating. He stayed still for 5 minutes on the heating system staring blankly at the wall. I tried to communicate he was fully unresponsive. I tried to shook him and he stared at me with glassy eyes. He wouldn't answer anything I said. I started slapping him slightly on the face and shaking him, to make him responsive. He raised his hand to hit me back but he seemed that he had no control over his muscles and the slap was so weak I barely felt it. Then I opened the lights. He started being more responsive. He became mad and requested I turn off the lights. I refused. He kept repeating, turn off the lights now, I said no hoping he will do it. He didn't move but seemed mad about the lights and started raising his voice little by little, so I turned it off. He became unresponsive again. Then he started pacing around the house mumbling about the tv set that wasn't working, I tried to calm him down but failed. He became a little more responsive by that time and responded with a few words to a few things I asked, but he seemed that he was completely lost in another world or something. After an hour or so, he came to it completely, had his bath and even started to joke. I asked him what was the last thing he remembered and with a little persistence it seemed that he remembered what had happened in that hour.
He had two glasses of wine before that happened, I don't know if alcohol is important.
I'm very scared, I'm scared to lose him. He's the only person I have in the world. Thank you for taking the time to read it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your fiance.

Based on the details provided by you it sounds like your fiance is experiencing recurrent seizures called as CPS (Complex Partial seizures)

This can explain all his manifestations including the unresponsiveness, behavioral issues, mumbling nonsense etc

Did he have any investigations done so far?

Is he on any medications?

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly. If you require more time it is perfectly fine. Please take your time and reply to the above posted questions when your time permits & when you can, and I will get back to you at the earliest with my diagnosis & recommendations related to your concerns about your fiancé’s health condition. And please not to be scared, this can be treated successfully, please get back to me and we can discuss this in detail.

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier asked few questions above so that I can gather additional information related to your concerns about your finance’s heath condition. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be busy now and not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

These recurrent episodes what your fiancé has been experiencing sound like a type of seizures called as CPS (Complex partial seizures) as I had mentioned earlier above. These seizures can explain all his manifestations he is having.

We need to find out the cause for his seizures and this can be treated and his seizures can be controlled.

He will require the following seizure related investigations for the further evaluation of these episodes;

1) EEG (study of the brain waves)

2) MRI scan of the brain

EEG will look for any seizure related activities in the brain and will help in confirming the seizure diagnosis, and the brain MRI scan will look for any structural abnormalities in the brain that may be causing his seizure.

He also needs to be seen by a neurologist so that he can receive a thorough neurological examination and the neurologist will also arrange for the above mentioned investigations and this will help in ascertaining the precise cause for his seizures and then treated appropriately.

Please see his condition can be successfully treated, he needs to be seen by a neurologist asap and he also needs the above mentioned investigations asap and once the final diagnosis is confirmed his condition can be treated successfully. And there are excellent seizure medications available which can help in preventing these seizures from occurring, so please not to be scared.

To summarize once again;

These episodes appear to be CPS (Complex partial seizures)

We need to find out the cause for his seizures so he needs to be seen by a neurologist and also he needs the above mentioned investigations (the brain mri scan and the eeg study etc)

Once the precise cause for his seizures is identified it will be treated appropriately

And in the meantime his seizures can be effectively treated and controlled with seizure medications

Please not to be scared as his condition can be treated successfully. He needs to see his doctors, preferably a neurologist asap so that he can receive the above mentioned investigations and also seizure medication which will help in preventing his seizures from occurring in the future.

Please go through the above answer which is based on what information I had gathered from your original question. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please get back to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had inquired earlier through the questions I had posted above and I am available here for further discussions until you are satisfied. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Hi, how is your fiance doing now? Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss his health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Best Regards!