Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I was diagnosed with epilepsy about a year ago but have been

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with epilepsy about a year ago but have been seizure-free since. I've recently had some strange feelings and want to ask for an increase in my dylantin (my doctor says I'm on a low dose). I am worried about how to talk to my doctor in a way that doesn't raise concerns about driving. Can you advise how I can approach him?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes, Dilantin 300mg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

It sounded like you are not having a big seizure or seizures associated with loss of consciousness etc, if that is so then it should not affect your driving in anyway

Only big seizures like the grand mal seizures or the seizures associated with lot of shaking/convulsive movements or seizures that are associated with loss of consciousness or confusion or disorientation etc are the ones which can affect your driving and so there will be issues with driving etc, other types of seizures should not be affective driving

You have mentioned in your question you are having some strange feeling and it sounds to me like some minor episodes and these are not affecting your ability to drive, so in these situations I do not think your doctor will express his concerns with your driving.

You may try to explain him that your seizures are minor, and not at all affecting your driving, and minor events too require medication optimization so dilantin dose may need to be optimized so that we can stop these minor events happening but since these are minor events the dr is unlikely to get concerned of your driving.

As I mentioned above please emphasize on the minor nature of these episodes and also insist with your dr that these episodes are not affecting your ability to drive in anyway and with this approach when you see him your doctor will feel comfortable in optimizing the seizure med but without any unnecessary focus on your driving abilities.

Once again, please emphasize on the minor nature of the episodes and your continued full ability to drive and it should work out without any issues and you will have your dilantin dose increased as well you will not face any restriction on your driving too.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Customer/p>