Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am taking GABAPIENTIN 300mg for seizures in the past

Customer Question

I am taking GABAPIENTIN 300mg for seizures in the past (Several Years). I reluctantly had a glass of Guiniss sstout this evening. Is there any thing to worry about?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had seizures2 about 3 years ago. I have not had alcahol since.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

No, this should not cause seizures or any other problems

While large amounts of alcohol is not safe with a history of seizures but small amounts that too occasional use should not be of any concern.

Gabapentin can cause sedation, and alcohol too being a sedative so if you take in large amount then you may experience excessive sedation but just a glass of alcoholic drink should not be any concern

Once again I reassure you, a small amount of alcohol like this should not precipitate any seizures and also no major or serious interactions are expected between small amount of alcohol and gabapentin, so you are safe and please not to be scared.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Customer/p>

Hi, have you had a chance to go through the answer I had posted above earlier? I once again reassure you the above mentioned situation should not precipitate any seizures and also serious or major interactions are not expected by alcohol with gabapentin since you had consumed only a small amount of alcohol.

Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Best Regards!