Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Could a degenerative disc L4 L5 cause foot drop and numbness

Customer Question

Could a degenerative disc L4 L5 cause foot drop and numbness of foot over top of foot and outer edge especially. my rheumy noted my curled fingers and toes and so Ive just had an mri done. All replies will be very helpful thanks.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
uk rheumy noted brisk reflexes also IF that means anything?
Expert:  drphophalia replied 15 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

A degenerative disc disease L4-L5 can cause foot drop and numbness of over top of foot. It can also cause brisk reflexes. All of these are due to pinched nerves or pressure on the spinal cord due to disc disease.

Wish you a very happy, prosperous, healthy and safe new year 2017.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can you check out my very recent head and brain MRI scans for anything, I also have cognitive problems and feel I am declining mentally and physically as I get very severe head pain roughly 2-3 wks per month now. They started some time ago when i had sepsis episodes after major surgery (I've had 11 major full laparotomy ops on pelvic/ab due to abscesses) and septicaemia/sepsis/intensive care before this too. At the age of 21-23 I had many grand mal fits, 2 status epilepticus fits, 1 lasted 7 hours. I had stroke like symptoms during the sepsis episode phase 5 yrs ago and haven't really been the same since then. Health deteriorating, severe fatigue, numbnesses, jumpy legs, tingling, severe memory problems, lumbar and neck pain been bad since age of 17 and there is spondylothesis / sclerosis / degen arth in the family - Aunt and uncle.I use a power chair due to the terrible fatigue, chronic abdo pain, lumbar and leg/left foot pain and because my pulse is 135 most of time with IST and postural hypotension, low temp and feel fluey majority of time with stiff neck when head pain flares up at occipital and left forehead mostly with numbness also down left of face. Tested neg for thyroid. Had Rheum Factor in my blood back in 2012 but not since. Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Lupus seems possible except bloods don't show that up.
Could you report your findings please including any brain/neck/spine findings if any plus check the discs out re my previously discussed symptoms? I'd really appreciate it!Please click on this link for my MRI images on Google drive. Many many thanks.
.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwXYvX47UEx4TDk4SHBYTHpZT1k
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 14 days ago.

Since Dr. Arun opted out the question was transferred to me.

Would you like me to help you out on here or would you like to discuss your situation with me over the phone?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'd appreciate someone to give a second look at things if poss. What type of trained physician are you firstly?