Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Trying to better understand my husbands's traumatic brain

Customer Question

Trying to better understand my husbands's traumatic brain injury. He was life flighted on October 19 (rear ended by a large commercial box truck and he was on third row seat of large SUV)...When EMS arrived on seen his GCS was a "5". Once he arrived at the Trauma Center his score was a "15".
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: I did just receive all medical records.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was just told very deep scalp laceration in occipital area. Other words that were used are.. contusion and hematoma. He had horrible incision pain (staples used) for 6 weeks following the accident. Now, he has short term memory issues and major emotional outburst (temper) etc. Cannot see a neuro psychologist for another two weeks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your husband.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Please see the short term memory loss & emotional outburst etc are secondary to the head injury and this is expected to resolve. It may take time though but most of the patients recover from these types of cognitive deficits & behavioral issues.

Did his brain scan show brain contusion and hematoma? Did they say the hematoma was large? And did they have to do a surgery or burr hole to take the hematoma out?

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly. If you require more time it is perfectly fine. Please take your time and reply to the above posted questions when your time permits & when you can, and I will get back to you at the earliest with my diagnosis & recommendations related to your concerns about the head injury sustained by your husband and the subsequent manifestations he is having due to this unfortunate injury.

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier asked few questions above so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns about your husband. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be busy now and not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

As I had mentioned earlier too the cognitive deficits and the behavioral/emotional issues are expected to resolve, it may take some time to fully recover but recovery is seen in majority of the patients who have sustained head injuries.

In the meantime the following treatments can be tried to help with improving his various health manifestations related to this head injury;

A) Nutritional supplements like;

Metanx (a combination of active forms of vitamin b12, folate, and vitamin b6)

ALA (Alpha lipoic acid)

Multivitamins

CoQ 10 etc

The above nutritional supplements can help in repair and healing process of the damaged brain tissue and help with faster recovery

B) Memory enhancing medications like;

Citicoline (CDP Choline)

Aricept

Namenda

Exelon etc

C) And for management of the emotional and behavioural issues he may try one of the following treatments;

Seroquel

Zyprexa

Risperdal etc

D) If you guys are looking for non-mediation treatment options then one or more of the following can be tried;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy)

ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy)

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy

Acupuncture

Yoga & meditation

Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques etc

Once again I reassure you the manifestations he is having secondary to the head injury is expected to resolve, it may take some time but it is expected to resolve and in the meantime you guys may consider trying the various treatment options I have mentioned above to help him with improving his short term memory and also the emotional/behavioral manifestations he is having since this head injury.

Please go through the above answer which is based on what information I had gathered from your original question. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please get back to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had inquired earlier through the questions I had posted above and I am available here for further discussions until you are satisfied. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!