Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I have this severe pain on or in the right hip. the pain

Customer Question

hi Pearl, i have this severe pain on or in the right hip. the pain sometimes radiates, or shoots down, through the knee and out the ankle. but mostly it's in the hip and groin area. the thing that worries me most is the lack of flexibility, like tying my shoes laces, getting in and out of the car or chair. also, I have a hard time just lifting my right leg, I can push down on it but have a hard time just lifting the leg. and picking stuff up off the floor, is a real pain!. I walk with a cane very slow, mobility, seems to be getting worse. have not seen a doctor yet, even though I've been like this for a few months now. thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: bending over to pick stuff up worsens the pain standing or sitting for to long stiffens the joint. have not notice any swelling, maybe a little ?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been told one leg is longer then the other, but I'm not sure which one or by how much.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any burning, numbness or tingling? Also what is your age?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no numbness or tingling just a deep pain in the hip...

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, please ignore it as that is an automated site response. Thanks!

Well from your description it sounds like that you may have developed one of a few conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you cpould have developed osteoarthritis of teh hip joint which is a condition in which there is degeneration of teh cartilage inside the joint. This would lead to pain, stiffness which can radiate into the groin. The diagnosis is made with the help of a simple xray and a MRI of the joint. Treatment varies from painkillers to steroids to complete joint replacement.

Another cause of the pain can be associated with compression of the nerves in the back which can lead to pain in the hip joint as well as pain radiating into the groin area. Sometimes pain is actually originating from the abck because of the compressed nerves and this would be easily diagnosed with the help of a simple xray and MRI of the lower back area. Again physiotherapy is the key in this case alongwith steroid injections, painkillers as well as surgery in severe cases.

Another cause can be meralgia parasthetica which is a condition in which a nerve of the hip joint and the thigh is trapped and this cause sharp shooting pain in the region. This would be diagnosed with the help of a NCS/EMG test and would be then managed with steroid injections and surgery to release the nerve.

But given your pain deep inside the hip joint, i think the problem is likely to be osteoarthritis which is a common occurrence in most patients and this also fits inwith the stiffness that you have. Sometimes supplements like glucosamine and chondritin sulfate will be helpful if ta***** ***** term and direct injections of hyaluronic acid into the joint have been successful in regenerating the cartilage. But for now i would suggest the supplements, omega 3 fatty acids and OTC painkillers like motrin or aleve until you see your doctor for a final diagnosis.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating