Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Mother has Notalgia paresthetica for a few days and has

Customer Question

My Mother has Notalgia paresthetica for a few days and has been taking a prescibed ointment which has really helped the itching. But last night she was sound asleep and it felt like someone hit her on the head - above the ear. Today that area is sore to the touch but there are no apparent marks on her skin. Should I take her the hospital today or call her internist or her neurologist on Monday? Any idea what this could be?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: No she has not
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is a very active 95 year old but has experienced two small strokes in the past
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

This is likely what is called occipital neuralgia--an inflammation of the greater occipital nerve in that area

Nothing too serious but you should let her internist know about it since it may require a cortisone injection to treat

Please let me know if you need any more information