Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

My left thigh last night when into a full spasm as if

Customer Question

My left thigh last night when into a full spasm as if something inside was kicking me and now my leg feels heavy. Could this be als?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you had a muscle spasm in your thigh. Let me assure you, this is not indicative of ALS. ALS begins as a weakness in small muscles, particularly the eyelids. As the disease progresses, extreme fatigue sets in with minimal exertion. This is most likely a muscle cramp and will go away with the application of warm moist compresses, stretching and taking a NSAID such as Ibuprofen for a few days.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ALS can affect people of any age, though it usually strikes in late middle age. ALS usually announces itself with persistent weakness or spasticity in an arm or leg, causing difficulty using the affected limb. Sometimes the problem originates in the muscles controlling speech or swallowing. It isn’t unusual for people to ignore such problems for some time at this stage, or to consult a physician who may be relatively unconcerned.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

I hear your concerns, but a single large muscle group that becomes spasmed is not an indication of ALS.

"Gradual onset, painless, progressive muscle weakness is the most common initial symptom in ALS. Other early symptoms vary but can include tripping, dropping things, abnormal fatigue of the arms and/or legs, slurred speech, muscle cramps and twitches, and/or uncontrollable periods of laughing or crying."

From the ALS Association

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

How does your thigh feel today?