Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I recently had back surgery well in july and was told that I

Customer Question

I recently had back surgery well in july and was told that I had a lot of nerve damage now I have this problem of my feet burning stinging and just cant keep them still could this be a result of the surgery and if so what can a person do to stop it
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: the burning has been for several weeks and is not getting beter I recently had 2 injections in my left hip for pain and one in the right hip for trochanter bursitis
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I can think of no heart problems or diabetis just my back surgery
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.

Nerves going into the legs can be injured during low back surgery, resulting in the kinds of symptoms you are experiencing. They can take up to 6 months, sometimes more, to heal completely to their pre-surgical state. If there has been little to no improvement since July, you should ask your doctor about getting nerve conduction studies (NCV/EMG) to assess the health of the nerves. This will give you some sense of whether there is measurable damage, where the damage is located, and how long it has been there. This can help with physical therapy, which you should be getting, and serve as a baseline for comparison down the road to assess progression or healing. In the meantime, if you are not already taking a nerve stabilizer (eg. gabapentin, pregabalin, cymbalta) you should do so to calm the injured nerves down and get some relief. Ask you doctor about this, as they are prescription medications.