Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

My 77y.o. father is having severe pain from his hip down

Customer Question

My 77y.o. father is having severe pain from his hip down mostly the front of his leg particularly when standing for any length of time.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: He has a dull ache when walking (6 on a scale of 10) which increases significantly when standing (8). Once he sits down, the pain decreases to 2 to 3. However, if he bends at the hip (i.e. to lift the toilet seat) the pain goes up to 9+.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He is recovering from a L ankle fx from late September. He also had a L TKR several years ago. (The current issue is with his R hip).
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

So sorry to hear about his problem, it sounds like he has had to deal with a lot these last few months.

There are several possibilities: Because of the left sided injury, we tend to overly compensate and put more strain on the side that was not injured (right side in his case) which can cause extra strain and put pressure on the right leg, including the hip.

As we age, most of us develop some osteoarthritis, wear and tear if you will, which your father probably has and it is being aggravated.

There could also be a small fracture in the hip area since the pain is so severe with standing, so it may not be a bad idea to get checked out and get a hip xray done just to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

For osteoarthritis the recommended treatment is Tylenol (if no liver problems) and if that does not help then medications like Ibuprofen (used with caustion due to possible kidney problems) physical therapy, chiropractor or acupuncture.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/

Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 7 days ago.

Hello, checking with you to see if you still need further assistance with your question? Thank you very much