Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Ok wow - well, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream at the

Customer Question

ok wow - well, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream at the moment...lol. A couple of years ago, my brother who is in his 50's had an "emotional breakdown". Long story short - He's being treated for psychological issues, -- apathy, depression etc
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No my brother - he is under Doctors care atm...but - I am pretty good at navigation human behaviour. I was helping my father until he passed - and my dad had Parkinsons...my brother is acting exactly like that...like my dad..but no one seems to want to have him see a neroulogist.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I guess my question is - how do I get my brother to see a neurologist? does his family doctor refer him to one?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

Yes, his family doctor can refer him to a Neurologist, but it is a bit more complex. The patient, your brother, can still refuse to go to a specialist, even if the family doctor refers him. But you wold be more likely that the doctor will advocate for seeing a Neurologist if the doctor understands your concern.

You can contact his family doctor with your concerns. His doctor must maintain confidentiality, so cannot communicate any significant information to you, but you can express to his family doctor the concerns that you have. The family doctor can then perform an assessment when your brother is next seen, and make a professional judgment about whether referral would be appropriate. You may never know the outcome of that assessment, unless your bother is willing to share that information.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My brother is very open to me talking to his doctor as I understand it. Would it cost out of pocket - in Ontario Canada, for him to see a Neurologist? If the doctor refers?

If you brother gives the doctor permission to speak to you and convey confidential information, then that is fine.

As long as the doctor makes the referral to any specialist based on his/her assessment, it would be covered.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 days ago.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.