Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I'm concerned about my sons protruding occitpal bone along

Customer Question

Hi there, I'm concerned about my sons protruding occitpal bone along with his ridge on his forehead. He is 7 months old and has had the protruding occitpal since 2 months, and the ridge on the forehead started around 4-5 months. I'm worried his soft spot is now closed as well. My family dr didn't seem to concerned but I need a second opinion
Thanks,
Concerned mom
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Skull related new findings” you have mentioned here in your 7 months old son and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your son.

The findings of protruding occipital bone and the ridge on the forehead area of the skull of your son needs to be evaluated and investigated further, and this cannot be disregarded as just anxiety of the mom

However these findings do not automatically indicate of some underlying serious health conditions, most often these are due to benign treatable & curable conditions

However this needs to be evaluated and investigated further

There are various kinds of conditions affecting the health and growth of the skull bone and these conditions can present during the infancy and early childhood

For example cranial synostosis is a condition that involves the skull and can produce early closure of the skull sutures and this conditions can cause prominent occipital bone, and also can cause early closure of the soft spots on the skull (the Fontanelle). There can be other conditions too that can affect the skull of the babies. For example Dolicocephaly can present with long skull with protruded occipital bone.

As you see there are many possibilities that can cause skull related changes in a baby and this certainly needs to be further evaluated and investigated in the neurology clinic followed by a scanning of the head too, and there are treatments available for these conditions so you may try to show your son to a neurologist asap. But I once again reassure you these conditions do not automatically indicate of some serious possibilities but these need to be diagnosed & treated early because such early treatments can help in achieving a permanent cure to these conditions.

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation of your son further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best regards,

Customer/p>