Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My question is about explaining a sentence on an MRI

Customer Question

My question is about explaining a sentence on an MRI Thoracic spine report.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no to medications, yet to several doctors yes is there a radiologist on this site?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I just want to write the sentence and have someone with radiology/spine experience to explain.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

Good morning, I am happy to help you, what does the report say?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I need someone in neurology.

Ok, I will opt out.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 18 days ago.

Hello. I am a neurologist with special training in radiology. Let me know if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
An answer would be good.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 18 days ago.

If you write the sentence from the report, I will do my best to explain it to you, or provide some context.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
quot;The report says: On the thoracic spine MRI exam, there is a 13 mm x 6 mm non enhancing oval-shaped cystic lesion in the posterior chest wall on the right along the anterior aspect of the rib at the t5-t6 level and a similar non enhancing cystic focus in the same location on the left at the same level."
There is presence of scoliosis and concave breast bone deformity.
male, 23 years old. (Sibling has a Chiari i Malformation.)
Where on the body is this?
How can there be two cysts of the exact size on both sides at the same level?
Could this be reflective of a Syringomyelia?
Expert:  khagihara replied 18 days ago.

That means the cysts are just behind the rib at the middle of the rib cage on the back. They are not syringomyelia. They are small cyst. Do you have any symptoms?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Shortness of breath- feels like I can't get a satisfying breath. Fine upon waking, starts once up and around. Worse when carrying a backpack or even a textbook. I can relieve the sob for small periods of time depending on postural changes. Started in July 2016 while 3 months in Malaydia and got worse after a heavy weight workout in Sept. Have had CT abdomen, MRI chest, sniff test, ct lungs. Tiny mesenteric Lymph nodes focused on the right side of abdomen.
-- how can there be two cysts completely the same on both sides of ribs?
Expert:  khagihara replied 18 days ago.

They could be lymph nodes. The enhanced one has inflammation or infection. The non-enhanced one doesn't have it.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 18 days ago.

Lymph nodes are solid and enhance with contrast. These lesions are cystic, meaning that they have a thin wall and are likely fluid-filled. They are along the front of the ribs (anterior) and may simply be developmental anomalies associated with your scoliosis and pectus deformity. They may also be acquired lesions such as fibrous dysplasia which are the most common rib lesions and typically arise during the second decade of life. They are typically painless and do not affect breathing. Did they show up on the CT? Your breathing issues may be the result of a slowly progressive restrictive lung disorder from your skeletal abnormalities. A pulmonologist could sort this out for you. As for the lesions, while they are unlikely to be expansile or malignant, the only way to know for sure would be to biopsy one of them, which would be risky. Ask your GP for a referral to a pulmonologist who can also advise you about how to handle this.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 17 days ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.