tazechip
tazechip,
Experience:  dasdasd
18722459

For the past several months I have had fatigue, constantly

Customer Question

For the past several months I have had fatigue, constantly freezing, joint pain and numbness/tingling in my hands and feet, and decreased appetite. Two weeks ago, I was sick with a cold and all of my symptoms (minus the fatigue) 100% disappeared during the first few days, but came back. What could this be?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Can you give me all your thyroid numbers and did you have any other blood tests besides what you mentioned?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The first time my TSH was 4.2 (high). The second time my TSH was 2.5 (normal) and my FT4 was 1.03. I also had a CBC (normal) and I think it's an ANA screening which was normal, but 3 years ago I had one that was abnormal. I think that is all the blood test I've had.
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

OK Lauren.

You're what's called subclinically hypothyoid--you have the symptoms despite a relatively normal TSH

I personally would treat you with levothyroxine with the aim of getting your TSH level down to around the 1.0 level.

If you haven't seen an endocrinologist about this, you need to have that referral

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Would this be causing all of my symptoms? I can't find a doctor who will treat me because I am "normal" now. Would it make sense that this is why the symptoms disappeared when I had a cold? I felt like I had a fever.
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

The infection, for the time, with the elevated temperature, could offset some of your symptoms. While the symptoms of neuropathy aren't typical here, without being diabetic or having a low B12 level, they still would be from the low thyroid.

If your primary care doctor doesn't agree with what I've said, ask him to refer you to an endocrinologist

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I forgot to add that I had my thyroid antibodies checked and they were negative. Does this change anything?
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

No it doesn't--had they been elevated you might have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which can lead to hypothyroidism but you can be hypothyroid without having that

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I just left a message for my doctor to see if I could try thyroid medications to see if they improved my symptoms. If I am told no, what do you recommend? I was not able to get a referral at my last appointment.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Also, would my TSH level change from being sick? That was when I had my last labs done.
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

No, that wouldn't affect your TSH

If he says no then I suggest you see an endocrinologist on your own

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
An endocrinologist over a neurologist? That's who the GP I saw wanted me to see.
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

I see no reason for a neurologist here

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Is there any other medical condition that could be causing my symptoms?
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

So very sorry for the delay--the site was down

You might have an ideopathic neuropathy but that would only account for the numbness and tingling

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What is the cause of ideopathic neuropathy?
Expert:  tazechip replied 21 days ago.

The term ideopathic means there is no specific cause.

It can be test for with nerve conduction studies by a neurologist which would be the only reason you might need to see a Neurologist