Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Our daughter, 59 years old has Glioblastoma cancer after

Customer Question

Our daughter, 59 years old has Glioblastoma cancer after removing a brain tumor a year ago. It was recently discovered she also has Hydrocephalus, Her doctors says she will need a VP Shunt. She now stays in bed most the time. She gets out only for use of the bath room. It is very difficult for her to move her feet and needs the help of her husband who is a big fellow. He can hold her up. My wife and I keep and eye on her when he makes short runs to the store. Each day becomes more difficult while we move her for rest room calls that are often if she can make it. Our question is whether she should have the VP Shunt. Her doctors can't give her and her husband a direct answer one way or another. My opinion is if it gives her more comfort, why not? What is your opinion?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 19 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Thanks for this question

I'm very sorry for this

GBM is a terrible cancer and I am so sorry you have to watch your daughter be afflicted with this

I totally agree with you on the shunt

If it improves the quality of life, that is what is important.

If she can tolerate a surgery to do it, then I would

make she will get better after it

The prognosis is still poor but her remaining time will be more comfortable.

I am for it.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/