tazechip
tazechip,
Experience:  dasdasd
18722459

I have been seen at the ER three times now for the WORST

Customer Question

Hi. I have been seen at the ER three times now for the WORST sudden onset migraines I have ever had, and do not have a history of migraines. I am once again at the ER this migraine has been going on for over 72 hrs now and I cannot bear the pain any longer. Nothing is helping. What do I need to do/say to my ER dr in order for them to admit me so I can be seen by a neurologist to get to the bottom of what is going on. Also I have a very stiff neck, and recently had a spinal tap where they told me I had too much fluid pressure in my spine. Please help me I am in so much pain and don't know how to get help.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Did you also have an MRI of the brain?

Did the ER doctor think these were truly migraines?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The ER dr believed they were migraines and no I have only had a CT scan which came back normal
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

OK Then why the spinal tap and what was said about the increased pressure?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They were checking for menangitis which came back negative. They are not sure why there was extra fluid
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

OK--what did they give you for this supposed migraine?

And was the ct scan only of the brain or did it include your cervical spine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They gave me a "migraine cocktail" for two different visits which helped temporarily. The ct scan was only of my head. I have recently had 3 epidurals in my c6/c7 spine for degeneratative discs. That could be why there was additional fluid on my spine. They also gave me fiorecet something I can't remember that starts with a p and Percocet
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

OK. I can't tell you how to make them admit you but you still can see a neurologist.

This doesn't sound like a migraine problem but I think it's a disk problem in your neck. I'd get either a ct or MRI of your cervical spine to check for that and proper physical therapy under the direction of a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabiltation MD specialist--that should help your symptoms.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are migraines as I cannot bear to look into lift, extreme sensitivity to it. Noises are almost unbearable. I am having my husband type this for me as I am in too much pain with the pressure in my head. It is all behind my eye, left side with numbness and tingling going down my arm. I have a referral for neuro consult but I am in the military and the earliest I can be seen is one month. I need them to admit me as I cannot go another month without getting answers and help
Expert:  tazechip replied 2 months ago.

I understand but migraines should at least respond to migraine medications.

There's also Imitrex and Zomig if those weren't tried.

And the arm numbness is more characteristic of a disk pressing on a nerve root and not a migraine