Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Physician
Experience:  A family doctor, with medical and residency training in Boston, MA, patients of all ages and wide range of illnesses.
72350808

I have been having a headache with double vision for about

Customer Question

I have been having a headache with double vision for about two weeks. I haven't had any blows to my head. My eye doctor recommended that I see a neurologist, but I am having trouble making an appointment.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: The headache is daily, but no nausea.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was diagnosed with dropped foot about 3 years ago. About a year ago, I woke up one morning and couldn't walk. Now I have to have a walker and muy balance is very bad.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Have you had any imaging of your brain?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had an MRI on my brain several years ago, before this problem came up.

why did you have that MRI, if I may ask?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I remember correctly, they were trying to find a cause of my dropped foot. I wasn't the results of this MRI

I understand. Thank you. I'm just trying to assess the background information.

What have you tried, so far, for your headache?

would you like a summary of options to treat headache as a first step?

1. 1. There are many possible causes for headache, including food and nutrition (including hydration, caffeine withdrawal, monosodium glutamate, aged cheese, sausage, alcohol), chemicals (scents, cleaning products, perfumes, tobacco smoke), emotions (stress), sleep disruptions, hormone changes, unequal head or neck muscle tensions, and commonly weather/season-related factors. In your case, concerns about your vision may be contributing. These are some of the likely causes, and no reason a headache must have only one cause.
  2. 2. Conservative treatment measures are indicated, with emphasis on avoiding triggers for you, covering your basics of hydration (drinking enough water that urine is clear) sleeping 8-10 hours minimum per night, and exercising for the weekly recommended duration (150 minutes.) There is evidence that hot baths can also help improve circulating immunity. Any of these that can improve, the better.
  3. 3. Reassurance that many patients typically improve within a week, and most will improve within 1 month, if not sooner, with appropriate care.
  4. 4. If you’re not improving according to this time table, consider the benefit of follow up with Neurology. They will help you further with other options for evaluation and recommendations for management
  5. 5. Fill out a headache diary which I could give you.
  6. 6. Bed rest is NOT recommended. Continue ordinary daily activities with caution to avoid further injury to affected area -- and stay active!
  7. 7. Early return to work/activities
  8. 8. Ice/heat may help with some tension around your neck and head. Ice/heat as often as needed. Consider inexpensive heating pad: (microwave heating moist towel to warmth, then wrapping in dry towel) or use of Ziplock bag with mix of zero- degree ice cubes and water
  9. Follow up in a time frame that you feel is appropriate for you; within 1-2 weeks if you have poor improvement or new concerns or changes for the worse. Medical care often improves over time and oftentimes, trial of various management options is helpful.
  10. Follow up specifically for any change in numbness, weakness, or if falls occur, if pain begins to radiate or inhibit normal function, or if symptoms persist longer than 2 weeks, or any systemic symptoms occur (fevers/chills/vomiting/skin color changes
  11. Consider stress reduction. Even small amounts of stress can worsen overall coping with illnesses.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have used Aleve and get relief fast. The pain is above my right eye and if I close that eye, I can get short time relief, like maybe an hour

I see. The fact that the Aleve helps is a great sign. Very reassuring.

Was I able to address your question to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT with 5 stars. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated with outstanding scores by our patients like you. Any other ratings suggest something was wrong and the doctor has not tried to offer you a chance for improvements.

If you have any follow up questions, I hope you’ll please save my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

Thank you! Hopefully, I would love to hear how things go for you.

Thank you!