Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

40 months starting in August started having tingling

Customer Question

40 months starting in August started having tingling numbness from my lower back all the way down back of my thigh down to my calf to my toes and my toes are numb and my back lower back hurt really bad severe I've had MRI of the lumbar and my of the brain and been seeing a chiropractor for a month no relief and also for 3 weeks now I'm on I've been on gabapentin Andy entries dose and prednisone 40mg for 5 days. I ain't no doctor can diagnose me I figured out why I have this numbness and tingling in my feet and my toes and my hands please help where do I go from here
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

The best course of action will be to see a Neurologist. The most evident diagnosis here is an impinged nerve due to a intervertebral disc protrusion in the lumbar area. Your MRI should have shown that, the next step is to perform an Nerve Conduction Study (NCS) and an electromyogram (EMG) to evaluate if the lesion is actually responsible for the symptoms. The treatment depends on the severity of the protrusion. If physiotherapy and chiropractor is not providing any relief then consideration should be given to surgical correction of the protrusion and a neurosurgeon can help with that. I would also suggest that you get your Vitamin B 12 levels checked as a glove and stocking pattern neuropathy can be caused by its deficiency, however, that seems unlikely here given your symptoms and your age.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.