Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

What causes pain and swelling from the base of your head,

Customer Question

What causes pain and swelling from the base of your head, neck, and shoulders. This pain cause severe headache, stiffness in the neck, and shoulders, tingling and weird sensations in all of these areas which makes it difficult to move.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The headaches are episodic but it may continue from minutes to days. Yes nausea, difficulty seeing, with cold chills.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Pain, swelling, headache & other symptoms” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions to help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) Age & gender?

2) For how long are you having these symptoms?

3) Any fever?

4) Have you already seen a Dr for this, Any investigations already done?

5) What treatments have been already tried (medication or non-medication treatments), and what are the current treatments now (medication or non-medication treatments)?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
1. 55 years old Female
2. Over 2years
3. Yes. I have prescribed medications.
4. Yes, the investigation I have seen a neurologist and I have been advised I have sciatica nerve damage, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, and arthritis. I have sharp, intense, piercing pain, as well as back spasms causing paralysis. The base head, in the back, neck, and shoulders muscles constantly swollen and hurts. This situation occurs at anytime with no known cause of onset. Since May of this year I have been having tingling, numbing sensations, swelling, redness, and burning in my face. My eyes swells up until one or both appears closed. I am in the process of having a blood test to check for possible indicators causing these problems. This blood was test was ordered by the allergologist, immunologist, and endocrinologist department. I will get my results back next week. Also, I have eye pain from injuries which causes me to have sagging excessive skin over my eyes. I have been having numbing sensations, short sharp piercing pain c in my head to my eyes. Yes, I have migraines.
5. I have seen a chiropractor who stretched my back muscles and attempted acupuncture in my back. The acupuncture procedure was stopped because of intense sharp burning at the onset of the needle puncturing the skin. Pain management had me take aquatic therapy. Medications: Meloxicam 15mg, Ranitidine HCL 150 mg, Cetirizine HCL 10, Gabapentin 300 mg, Prednisone 10 mg, Ciprofloxacin HCL 500, Trazodone HCL 100 mg Acetaminophen 500 mg, Hydrocodone, DextroAmphetamine 10 mg/Amphetamine 10 mg, Losartan Potassium, Atenolol, Duloxetine HCL 60mg, APAP. I have been sent to the ER because of my pain, paralysis, and my high blood pressure from the pain (Example: 188/140). Vicodine, hydrocodone, medication by IV, and more, however the results are unclear. I have additional medications for pain, however, like the hydrocodone, Vicodine, and other heavy drugs I take as needed because I am scared of these medications risks of addictions.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Did you receive my response.

Hi, I am opting out, you may please wait for another expert to help you with this question.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your assistance and honesty. I realize my health concerns are complicated. Again Thank You.

You are very welcome! All the very best!

Expert:  Dr. David replied 25 days ago.

This is Dr. David

when would you like to be contacted by phone?