Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I just spent a month in the hospital with what started as a

Customer Question

Hi.i just spent a month in the hospital with what started as a diabetic kematosis and a small tear in my right shoulder ACL. Then I guess in hospital they found an skin infection and small heart murmur. They could not locate the specific spot that was keeping the infection in my blood. I was bed ridden for the month sedated on morphine every 4 hours and didn't walk or use my arms other then to eat meals in bed. I was discharged 8 days ago today after they cleared the blood infection. They told me mobility would get better with time. I am still in so much pain in my one right leg, I walk and go up and down the stairs as much as possible but it's not feeling like it's getting better and my torn ACL feels like it's in both shoulder's and I can't sleep at night cause the pain is to much. I'm icing but shoulder's and my leg but now I'm scared. Should my mobility be way better or is healing time for what I've been through a lot longer then I expected?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

every patient heals at their own rate.

I'm glad you are icing your shoulders and your leg and knee

you should do this after physical therapy and exercise everyday.

you should stretch before and afterwards as well

you should increase your protein intake and fruits and vegetable intake as well.

ask about acupuncture which could help decrease pain

you may benefit from a steroid injection into your shoulders and knee to help decrease inflammation and pain possibly.

let me know if you have questions.