Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have had the feeling of needles and pins for more than a

Customer Question

I have had the feeling of needles and pins for more than a month now. From time to time it feels like electricity flowing through out my whole body. What could be the reason for this feeling?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 29 days ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have this feeling of needles and pins in arms or legs ir it is all over the body?

Do you have any known medical illness?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 29 days ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having feeling of needles and pins & feeling like an electricity flowing through out your whole body,since more than a month now is medically called as numbness/tingling sensation.

The tingling sensation you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

The underlying cause of tingling/pins & needle feeling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It is al over my body, sometimes even feeling it within my teeth. From time to time very heavy feeling of the needles and pins in my finger tips.
I dint have any medical illness or condition at this point in time.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 29 days ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you have this feeling of pins & needle sensation all over the body especially at the finger tips needs to be evaluated by a neurologist.It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.

Systemic causes like: Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12, seems to be the most probable cause of this.

And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

God bless you & take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 29 days ago.

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 29 days ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

This pins & needle sensation/tingling sensation is not a serious or dangerous condition & is treated with medications.

You need to have the blood tests & neurological testing as explained above to find out the exact cause of this & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Also I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 28 days ago.

Dear customer

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 25 days ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance regarding this "pins & needle sensation" ?

Is there anything else that you would like to know?

And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you to we only get after positive feedback).

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh