Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I felt good before and after fainting.When I came to was

Customer Question

I felt good before and after fainting.When I came to was dizzy and lost feeling and use of arms and legs. After I was wheeled into an emergency ward on a Princess Cruise, I had pulse 46 b/min, blood pressure of 60/40, respiration 18 B/min, Glucose 6.2 mmol/i, temperature 36.2, incontinence, but no vomiting or bleeding. I have the impression that I almost died. Is there a reasonable explanation for what happened to me? I'm 81 and in good shape so the doctor noted.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Forgot to mention that I had a urinary infection, which they gave me Cefuroxime. No swelling.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had surgery to reduce the size of my prostate in January, which was the follow up for a 70% loss of kidney function. Again felt good before and after, and if it wasn't for a blood test, would have never know what happened.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip

Was anyone with you when you fainted and do you have any idea how long you were unconscious?

How long ago did this happen?