Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a full shoulder replacement over a year ago. And told

Customer Question

I had a full shoulder replacement over a year ago. And told the Dr. If told me to give it a year to6 months. I have neve damage in my thumb apleasend and index finger and the front and upper shoulder. I have more pain everyday because of the nerve damage. What should I do
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: My family Dr knowns about the pain I go through. The Dr that did the surgry tells me he cant say he did and cant say he did. Did not have the nerve damage before. His assit. told it was BAD THAT IT HAPPENED TO ME. I DONT feel that was a good answer. sorry for the spelling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I did know that my shoulder was in bad shape.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about your issue .

Nerve pain is usually annoying and often difficult to manage .

It would be ideal for you to have Tab Pregabalin 300 mg twice a day .

This pill is specifically for nerve pain .

Meanwhile get Physiotherapy to overcome issue .

So please start pill and proceed further .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Let me know if you have further quires .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been on this meds. I can not believe this cost me $33.00 dollars. I did not have nerve damage before surgry and now I do. If this is your answer. Remove me from your list. Thank you Jackie PS Good luck to you being a Dr.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

The other expert has opted out.

If the symptoms of nerve damage started immediately after the surgery, then it is certainly very suspicious that it occurred as a complication of surgery, but it also could be a coincidence. If no further evaluation has been done to be able to prove that it is from the surgery, it may help to see a Neurologist, and depending upon the findings on neurologic exam, the Neurologist may also schedule a repeat imaging study of the shoulder or electrical diagnostic tests of the nerves.

There are several other medicines that can be tried for relief of symptoms. Since you have already been tried on pregabalin, the usual next medicine to consider would be certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline or duloxetine, which have been shown to help ease nerve pain even in people without depression. There also is a physical modality, called a scrambler, that can be considered to help ease nerve pain.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. If you have found my answer helpful, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.