Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

J saw my Neurologist last Wed 2 Nov 16 to get results from

Customer Question

J saw my Neurologist last Wed 2 Nov 16 to get results from my MRI of the Brain, this was done to check the small Basila Aneursym I have. This remained unchanged but he pointed out all the white areas in my Brain and he said most people your age (a fit 79) have maybe 10 and look at all you have! I was horrified and asked could this progress to Dementia? "He replied" Yes it could." I asked what I could do about it and he said keep your BP under 140! I will see you 1 to 2 years time. I walked out absolutely gutted because to me it is worse than Cancer and yet he seemed to be taking it so lightly. Please do you have any advice rather than what I have been given. I see my GP regularly and she is well aware she has to keep a close check on my BP. I feel if the Specialist is not concerned I am. Do you have any advice please. Val
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have intermittent Atrial Fibrillation. I did have Atrial Flutter for which I had a Cardioversion and 2 Atrial Ablations. Thyroidectomy for Thurtle Cell Cancer but is now OK. I have had a number of bowel Surgeries and this is now stable.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

why did you have the brain MRI scan

you most likely have had that basilar aneurysm for years or decades before it was detected now.

chance of the basilar aneurysm progressing to dementia is so super low, less than 1% chance.

most likely it will stay stable and not change for years and you will die from other causes. how big is the aneurysm?