KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

Since surgery in 2014 to treat stenosis in lower back I have

Customer Question

Since surgery in 2014 to treat stenosis in lower back I have been mobility impaired. I have balance issues, foot drop and weakness in my legs requiring me to use a walker or 2 canes. The reason given me was nerve damage. I recently visited a noted back surgeon who tells me lumbar fusion would free up the compressed nerves and would improve my ability to walk. I am 76 years old, in good health who has always been very physically active. I would appreciate some advice. Thank you
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes - I have MRI etc from former surgeon + all tests from current surgeon.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Only other surgery of this kind was a knee replacement about 10 years ago. That went very well and have had no problems since.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S. I will be happy to help.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Did you have your last MRI recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Do you know if it showed spinal stenosis or compression of nerve roots in your low back?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to both
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

I see. Have you had an EMG or nerve conduction study to this point, after your last surgery?

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

This is a test that can evaluate the functioning of the nerves and muscles of the peripheral nervous system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
again
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Did a neurologist evaluate your condition?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had this done twice. First after 2014 surgery and another just recently prescribed by current surgeon.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Did you actually get an opinion from a neurologist?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is my current surgeon not a neurologist??
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

No, he or she would not be.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Who then diagnoses the results of the EMG?
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

While it is definitely possible that your leg weakness and walking imbalance may be arising from your low back, it would be worth seeing a neurologist to make sure there are no other causes that could cause these symptoms.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

A neurologist may have performed the EMG, but a formal consultation would be needed in most cases to receive a full exam and history to give the neurologist a full evaluation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The doctor who did the EMG told me the problems were all related to my back - nothing wrong with my legs.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

If you have not received such an opinion, I would advise considering this before going for the surgery, to make sure you are not missing anything.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

You might at least want to make sure the doctor doing the EMG was a neurologist.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

Ultimately, surgery may well be the best option to treat your symptoms, but because of the serious nature of such surgery, getting a 2nd independent opinion from a neurologist may be a good idea.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Le'ts assume that nothing else is causing this problem - what would your opinion be?
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

In that case, if the problem is arising from the low back, then surgery would be reasonable if you are suffering from weakness as a result of the compressed nerves.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will definitely check it on this to make sure a neurologist has made a diagnosis. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Best wishes. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly, and bonuses are always appreciated (though not mandatory of course).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would love to but I can't afford it!
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 27 days ago.

It was my pleasure to help you. When you are able, please complete the rating of this question. Thanks!