Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Been have migraines 2-3 times a week. I take maxalt at the

Customer Question

Been have migraines 2-3 times a week. I take maxalt at the start and usually end up taking a 2nd ine sn hour later. Typucally it comes back later in the day and I end up taking a 3rd one which is sometimes useful. Dr is hesitant about changing med since it has worked well inthe past. Wonderi what else there is to try
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

There are a couple considerations here. One is that your medication, because of the frequency with which you are now taking it, may be provoking further headaches. These are called "rebound headaches" and the result can be that one is never able to eradicate the headaches, much like a dog chasing his tail in futility. This typically requires stopping all pain medications for several days or more to allow them to flush out of the body completely. The other thought is that frequent migraines like this are often treated prophylactically with an every day medication such as a beta-blocker (e.g. atenolol), a calcium channel blocker (e.g. verapamil), a TCA (e.g. amitriptyline) or an anti-seizure medication (e.g. topamax). A headache specialist (neurologist) could help sort this out for you and get you on the proper treatment regimen.