Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am thinking about seeing a neurologist and need to know if

Customer Question

I am thinking about seeing a neurologist and need to know if my situation is right for that kind of doctor
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. But I'm suddenly having new symptoms that are troublesome
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have an injury that occurred 3 years ago and it has cause damage to a vertebrae. (T9). My PCP send me to a neurosurgeon who can only recommend surgery but I am trying to avoid that. I have been on so many medications these last 3 years that I finally stopped everything and went to a pain doctor. That pain doctor has me on two medication. My PCP one. But I have noticed some really big changes this last couple weeks.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I cannot remember little things. Something is suddenly wrong with my memory. Like really noticeable. And I can't learn. I am in school. I cannot learn no matter how hard I trt
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

do you have severe pain? this can make it hard to learn

are you not sleeping properly? this can make it difficult to learn.

what medications are you taking?

do you have severe anxiety symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have severe pain. I have been on and off so many medications this last 3 years and thought many tests and treatments. Over the past 3 years doctors have thrown a slew of meds at me I finally just stopped taking them. Nothing worked. I have taken for long periods of time:
Lunesta
OxyContin
Tramadol
Meloxicam.
I want off these. Those don't help. And my brain isn't working. I can't think straight. They aren't helping my pain either.
Those are the current medsThe past meds:
Gabapentin
Duoloxetine
Seroquel
Amytriptiline
Buspar
Lyrica
Ambien
Trazadone
Percocet
Citalopram
Sevella
RisperdoneNone of these worked either. I feel like I've taken so much medicine my serotonin and dopamine levels are messed up and my memory is being inhibited and I am not able to learn. I can't recall anything when tested. Something is definitely not right with my brain.I can't sleep due to pain. But that has been going on for 3 years. This learning and memory thing is new this past 2 weeks. Like I will park my car, then hours later have no idea where it is....searching for hours. I'll be driving and forget how to get home. I can't remember what I have to do in a day. I can't recall if I ate breakfast. I am having trouble even remember how to make something I've made for years. Something is wrong.

why do you have severe pain?

do you have fibromyalgia?

how old are you?

what psychiatric diagnosis do you have? you are taking several psychiatric medications like citalopram and duolxetine and seroquel.

do you have severe depression or bipolar mental illness?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have an hemangioma in T9 from an acute injury in 2013. I have pain induced anxiety and insomnia. No other diagnosis. All the meds have been in attempts to control pain and anxiety and none have been effective. I am 44. I have never had pain before I injured myself or anxiety problems. I am asking if I need to see a neurologists because I am having memory problems suddenly, and persistent sleeping problems, and now chronic pain that only gets worse and is not being effectively treated. I have tried everything. Every treatment possible. Physical therapy. Ablations. Injections. Massage. Chiropractic care. Acupuncture. Epidural. I have no other health problems. Just constant pain in the T9 area that never goes away. I just want to know if I should see a neurologist. Been down all the other roads with no relief.