Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am a 44 year old female with advanced RA, many

Customer Question

I am a 44 year old female with advanced RA, many extra-articular issues. Recently, I've had some disorientation when I walk in open spaces- I get an overwhelming sensation that if I rake one more step, I'll fall over. When I am close to a wall, or something similar, I'm fine- I don't even need to be touching it, but as long as it's close, I sense I'm okay. Very strange sensations. Please advise
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Additional info, if it's helpful. Absolutely no vertigo or dizziness. Also, it helps a little if I walk sideways and not directly forward, it doesn't resolve the issue, but improves it slightly.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are having this disorientation symptoms when walking in open spaces.

this can happen in some patients who have RA.

are you getting your RA treated?

have you had a brain MRI scan

you should ask your doctor for a brain MRI scan to be sure and neurological exam

but I suspect your symptoms are from your RA

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The RA is being treated but not with the typical biologic meds, as I was one of the unlucky few to develop lymphoma while on it (treated and resolved). Symptoms are new so I haven't seen my rheumatologist as of yet. If related to the RA will it be treatable or resolve on its own?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

it can be treatable if related to RA

it could resolve on its own possibly

given your history of lymphoma, you should get a brain MRI scan to be sure to check on the brain.