Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have an icy hot feeling in both arches. No injury, worse

Customer Question

I have an icy hot feeling in both arches. No injury, worse when sitting or if my knee is bent. My toes can go numb at times. Work up negative for plantar fasciitis. Thoughts?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No sqelling. Worst when sitting
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Celiac disease. Raynauds. It kind of feels like someone is tickling my arches whenever my knee is bent.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Caplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings from patients like you: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Back and forth please

Sounds good!

when you say "workup was negative" for plantar fasciitis... what do you mean?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can move my toes without problem. No pain with flexing my toes or pointing them. I had an MRI of my entire spine, which was normal. I also had X-rays of l4 and l5 8! Flexion and extension.I had an mri of my feet, which was normal. Also xrays, norna. injection for possible tarsel tunnel (no change in symptoms)

I see. thank you. that's helpful to know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No pain in my heel, no pain with first step in the morning.

have you tried stretching or applying ice or heat and how that affects your numbness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lots of stretching. Ice makes it worse. Massage makes it better. No change with ibuprofen

interesting. you may have some tendonitis or this could be a symptom or your raynauds. no traumas or acute impact with anything traumatic right?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No trauma or injury
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would raynauds cause problems primarily in the arches? It does not change with temperature

raynauds can cause difficulty anywhere blood vessels reach. if you happen to have smaller vessels to that area, you could get these kinds of symptoms. the fact that massage helps is suggestive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I treat that?

The raynauds is typically treated with medications prescribed by a physician.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other workup to recommend?

- Consider freezing a plastic water bottle and rolling it under your foot. This helps with inflammation and also stretches tissues

- Try inserting orthotics into the shoes you wear. This will helps to disperse body weight evenly over the underfoot.

- Stretch the affected body parts. Slowly, Thoroughly, and Regularly

- Regular dosing with anti-inflammatory medications helps reduce inflammation and improves comfort.

- Consider consulting with a Physical Therapist or Exercise Therapist for additional support and guidance with stretching and strengthening.

An Example Home-Treatment Regimen

- Sleep for a goal 8-10 hours, (daytime naps are healthy)

- If needed, consider elevating the injury with pillows

- Take at least 1 hot bath/shower every other day

- Drink water continuously throughout the day, avoid caffeine/alcohol. Goal is clear urine

- Add at least 5 minutes of dedicated stress relief daily

- Achieve at least 20 minutes of moderate exercise every day

Here is a selection of orthopedic stretches and exercises for you:

https://goo.gl/aL8Tsl

http://goo.gl/dH0lYm

http://goo.gl/RFGqCi