Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

My dada had a stroke and it's been 5 years now. His left

Customer Question

Hi my dada had a stroke and it's been 5 years now. His left side is weak but we're doing therapy. But I know that stroke attacks his brain. How can he recover?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High blood pressure & stroke
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your father. Now recovering from a stroke can be a life long process, as you know the stroke affects the brain. The neurons in the brain which are responsible for controlling the limbs are affected by a stroke, they die and that is why a person is unable to move his limbs. Now the process of rehabilitation is long and difficult. The physiotherapy which he is undergoing will actually train new neurons in the brain to take over the function of the dead neurons, once they are trained enough he should be able to regain some function in his affected side. Now it is also possible that he may recover full function but nothing can be said for sure.

The recovery process will involve a number of people ranging from a physiatrist to a physiotherapist as well as an occupational therapist. There are NO drugs or treatments which can make the neurons grow back or make him recover at a faster pace. That is the limitation of medicine at the moment, however the therapy DOES work. I have seen several patients even recover after 4-5 years with simple therapy involving all aspects. But again it is a time consuming process. The most important thing during this process is that he does not suffer from another attack which can be prevented by simply running a few tests and by controlling his blood pressure.

Ins hort, the recovery process would involve physiotherapy, occupational therapy etc. Here are a few helpful links which you may find useful.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else?Any clarifications or queries that you might have? Ill be happy to answer any follow up questions. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.