Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I had foot surgery ( bunion ) on 9/20/16 and he had to cut

Customer Question

I had foot surgery ( bunion ) on 9/20/16 and he had to cut the bone in three areas, put in a plate and pins. the incisions are healing very well and were made on my left foot on the side of my big toe ( bunion removed) then an incision between my big toe and one next to it and the one on the top of my foot on the right side of my left foot about 2#" away from where my foot meets my ankle. I was off my foot and kept elevated for 3 weeks with ice. I had stitches removed on 10/27 and was released and the doctor said that the swelling was a little more than he expected but felt would go down. Told me I could walk on it wear a sock and use the shoe(black shoe) and walk on heels keeping pressure to minimum and no need to use walker anymore. I have now done all that but my foot is getting more swollen and it will not go down. It hurts not where the incision is but right where my foot joins my ankle and has massive swelling on the left side of my foot completely across from the area where incisions are. I get horrible electrical shape pains in my four toes and the foot hurts like it is broken at at the top of my foot where it joins my ankle. I ice the swelling but it does not go down.. What do I need to do. It has been over 6 weeks and I am not seeing any improvement. the pain and swelling is hurting all the way up the back of my leg. I feel as if something needs to drain and isn't etc.. my foot hurts can send you pics if necessary.Also at times my toenail beds feel as if someone put acid underneath them. I am taking ibuprofen for pain. Help! I need this to heal and swelling to reduce. Retold me I could walk in shoe and without but no walker necessary. I am not able to keep elevated 24 x 7 and do when I can and at night with ice but not helping..CAn you please help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had foot surgery ( bunion ) on 9/20/16 and he had to cut the bone in three areas, put in a plate and pins. the incisions are healing very well and were made on my left foot on the side of my big toe ( bunion removed) then an incision between my big toe and one next to it and the one on the top ofmy foot on the right side of my left foot about 2#" away from where my foot meets my ankle. I was off my foot and kept elevated for 3 weeks with ice. I had stitches removed on 10/27 and was released and the doctor said that the swelling was a little more than he expected but felt would go down. Told me I could walk on it wear a sock and use the shoe(black shoe) and walk on heels keeping pressure to minimum and no need to use walker anymore. I have now done all that but my foot is getting more swollen and it will not go down. It hurts not where the incision is but right where my foot joins my ankle and has massive swelling on the left side of my foot completely across from the area where incisions are. I get horrible electrical shape pains in my four toes and the foot hurts like it is broken at at the top of my foot where it joins my ankle. I ice the swelling but it does not go down.. What do I need to do. It has been over 6 weeks and I am not seeing any improvement. the pain and swelling is hurting all the way up the back of my leg. I feel as if something needs to drain and isn't etc.. my foot hurts can send you pics if necessary.Also at times my toenail beds feel as if someone put acid underneath them. I am taking ibuprofen for pain. Help! I need this to heal and swelling to reduce. Retold me I could walk in shoe and without but no walker necessary. I am not able to keep elevated 24 x 7 and do when I can and at night with ice but not helping. Can you tell me what may be happening and what I need to do ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want to have a phone call
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you please write rather than call.? I am working and on phone

This amount of swelling is not normal for this surgery.

It is possible that you are experiencing some problem with blood or lymph flow. There might also be an smoldering infection.

The best thing to do is go back to your surgeon and have her look at your foot again. If you don't think she will give you the care you need, then I would get a second opinion from a different orthopedic surgeon.

At this point I do not feel this is something you are going to be able to fix at home on your own.

....I'm typing as fast as I can :)

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you and the typing was just fine. It says I can only rate after I have finished...how do you get tips?

even after you do the rating I am happy to continue to work on this thread if you had more concerns about this topic.

As to tips, there should be a place to add a tip when you rate.