Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I cannot get ride of my plantiar faciatis - I think I

Customer Question

I cannot get ride of my plantiar faciatis - I think I spelled that wrong! At any rate, it started on my left foot and has moved to my right.
I am using a golf ball, foam roller, orthodics, and went to a sports doctor who recommended using the elliptical backwards and the recumbent bike instead of running.
I do walk about 6 miles or so a day.
Any other advice for me on how to get rid of this? I also no longer go barefoot.
Me***** *****
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I'm glad you are not going barefoot

you should be wearing indoor shoes.

you should also be stretching and icing your feet as well

you should get a bag of ice and wrap it in a towel and ice the bottom of your feet.

are you overweight? being overweight can put extra pressure on the bottom of your feet as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
luckily, I am not overweight. I am an athlete and about normal size - 145 Lbs, 5' 8".I will ice more. One last question - will it be okay to start back into running while it hurts if I stretch a lot, etc? Basically run through the pain? Start with a mile and build up?

no. pain is a sign of injury or inflammation.

you should rest and stretch and ice until the pain is gone and then go back to running when the pain is gone.

don't run through the pain