Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Only. Can you suggest a neurological test that can show the

Customer Question

For Dr. Frank only. Can you suggest a neurological test that can show the baseline of the deficits I have as a result of my bipolar? I will describe these deficits  in this post. I want to take the test while I am still taking the Abilify? Then, I would like to take the same neurological test after I stop taking the abilify.  This way my psychiatrist and I could work with some science. My history: 10 years ago I took part in Abilify, lithium and placebo study for people with bipolar and wound up on Abilify. It seems,that the Abilify has been helping me with understanding what people are saying to me. The Abilify has also been helping me to know what I was going to say before before I spoke. The type of bipolar I have is all manic., Knowing how to outline what I want to say clearly before I say it, is a highly valuable skill for me. Lately, and this is after 10 years of taking 5 mgs Abilify once at night, I feel my speech has started to be labored and slow. My mental co-ordination is that I need an extreme amount of concentration when I shift lanes in a car. This concentration is also getting slower. I manage with driving but I feel like my eyes are stuck looking straight ahead. My lack of balance is worse. For example, I am unable to stand and close my eyes without holding on to something. Lastly, I have very bad tremors in my legs and jaw that are now becoming very noticeable to everyone not just my family. During the last 10 years, I have not done any neurological testing or follow up. I only had a nurse practitioner or doctor dispense the medicine x four times a year. I just began seeing a psychiatrist who does therapy. I want to do a study with Yale New Haven in Connecticut to see what's going on in my brain. My husband, of 38 years, and I have decided to stop the Abilify for a time. We would like to give my poor brain a break. I had always thought that I had deficits in attention, executive function, verbal processing and information processing but that this was being helped by the Abilify. Plus, I thought that the Abilify stops the manic episodes which helps of course with the deficits. Now, I am in trouble because I feel that these problems exist no matter if I take the Abilify or not. In fact, now the thoughts are too slow rather than racing. For example, I still, can't repeat numbers or remember a grocery list even with only three things in it. I must be very weak in this area. I have not made a diary or journal about all this. I just began telling my psychiatrist about how far I have come from when I was a teenager and everything 45 years ago. Back then, I couldn't get to class or do my homework. I also take Klonopin a small dose before bedtime 5 mgs to help with my racing thoughts. Recently, I have been trying to go every other night without the Klonipin. Additionally, I took Lithium for 8 years when I was in my twenties. Lithium is also good at keeping mania away. I went for 25 years without meds and was successful raising 3 good boys, two who had early onset bipolar or ADD or both. During that time I was able to manage my mania by a sort of Stop, Look and Listen method, I devised. I feel confident that I could do this again after I weaned off the Abilify with doctors supervision. Could you please tell me what the studies show about bipolar mania? and 1.) If taking Abilify for a long period of time can slow down brain or make these deficits worse like I was saying? 2.) If brain imaging can show deficits with something physical like the temperature in certain parts of the brain or show whether there is a smaller size of areas in brain which control verbal, attention and Executive Function in people with bipolar? 3.) If all this research and study can help people in a practical way to compensate for weaknesses in these areas? Thanks.  I am signing out. Good night.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What studies have you already reviewed on your own?

What medications are you currently taking?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi doctor Rick, I think I would like you to opt out so that Dr Frank can answer this question.. Hey but I will answer the two questions.

1.) Study I am looking into is:

http://psychiatry.yale.edu/research/programs/clinical_people/mood.aspx

2.) 5 years ago they gave me a test where I sat in front of computer and pressed a button when I heard sounds and matched things I saw on the screen. I failed the test because I couldn't finish it and the study people gave up trying to get me to move on to the next level. Some friends of mine who were also patients finished the test and moved on in half the time.

3.) What meds"

5mgs of Abilify 1 time a day and 5 mgs of Klonopin 1 time a day or *as needed" but I am encouraged to cut down. So I am trying to take every other day and go to sleep without it If I don't need it.

I will be happy to opt out.

I hope you find the data you are seeking soon.

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

For Dr. Frank only: Thank you Dr. Rick for opting out. I shall wait. Thank you for your earlier answer also.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry but Dr Frank is not longer available on Just Answer. Would you like your question open to other Experts, or do you prefer that I close it for you? Thank you,Customer/p>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Dr. Frank is no longer available. I would like a neurology doctor. Is Dr. Mark available?

Thank you. I am sorry but Dr. Mark is no longer available. I have opened your question to other Experts. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Camille
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have asked that this question is closed and have posted a new question which is revamped and more clear.

Thank you :-)