Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

I had a 1.2 thalamus infarct last month with only mild short

Customer Question

i had a 1.2 thalamus infarct last month with only mild short term memory problems for 10-12 hours. no other symptoms cat scan was normal,mri showed the disturbance. i had a visual migraine [double vision for 3 minutes before it happened] and i did smoke 1 pack of cigs a day. i think i did not have a stroke but i had global amnesia. all drs have said i am fine. i still have a tiny bit of memory loss only for a few minutes occasionally.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh so sorry! i think i had a bout of global amnesia and not a stroke . 3 of my drs thought it was a one time event and told me not to worry. i am super anxious now but a lot of that might have to do with not smoking! what do you think?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i do not need to talk on phone
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 month ago.

I am assuming that your Drs say you have a stroke as something showed up in the mir. You State that you had a 1.2 thalamus infarct which I am assuming they are interpreting as the size of the infacrt. So if it is there, it represents an area of blood loss. There is no medical condition called a "bout of global amnesia" There are strokes and there are tia's It sounds like you had a stroke with no residual effect or loss.