Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My daughter is 2 years (first pregnancy, borned 10 days

Customer Question

My daughter is 2 years (first pregnancy, borned 10 days after term, with C.section). 1 month ago, I noticed that she was quickly moving her hand for several seconds. Then she started to do similar quick short movements with legs or with whole body when she's falling asleep. During her sleep, I saw her making this moves again. When it started, she had a diarrhea and she vomited several times, so the doctor told me, It could be caused by dehydration. A week ago I noticed this moves again - sometimes when she is sitting and watching cartoons and always when she's falling asleep. Always she does the moves (twitches) only with one part of body (only one hand or one leg, not all together), but everytime she does it with different part of her body (so it affects randomly different parts of her body, also the moves do not repeat periodically).
Sometimes she woke up in the evening with screaming, than she is upset and seems to be afraid of the dark, she doesn't want to sleep and she hides her face in pillow. If she noticed that the lamp is still switched off in the room, she started screaming until we switch the lamp on. The pediatrician said it is probably a nightmare or night terror. She sleeps 9-11 hours in the night and 2-3h afternoon.
Once she had an EEG examination (she was 6month old), the results were OK.Can you please write me what can cause these twitches? It is connected with her "nightmares"? Should I be worried about it?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

she could have a nervous twitch of her hands and arm.

or benign fasciculations of small nerves or muscles

her symptoms don't sound severe

and I don't think they are related to her crying when she wakes up.

she could be waking up hungry or with a wet diaper.