Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I am having extreme nerve discomfort at night. I am not

Customer Question

I am having extreme nerve discomfort at night. I am not diabetic. I have been on Gabapentin prescribed by a neurologist a few years ago. Discontinued after symptoms decreased. Now symptoms have returned andI want to go back to the neurologist but I have to wait a long time to get in with any in my area. Can my primary care doc prescribe Gabapentin?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Pertaining to this???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you tell me was a NCS/EMG done when you say your neurologist or few years ago?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that you could have peripheral neuropathy which is a condition in which the nerves of the limbs can be damaged ebcause of a number of underlying conditions apart from diabetes. These can include vitamin B12 deficiency, lead, infections etc along with autoimmune disorders and thyroid problems. Now this can cause burning, itching, numbness, tingling in the limbs. The diagnosis is made with a NCS and i would suggest that you do have this done when you see your neurologist. Now coming to your question, gabapentin is just one of the drugs which is used to control this sort of pain and YES your primary care physician can certainly prescribe the drug. He can do a simple examination on your and can start you on it. But i would recommend that you ask him to start you on pregabelin which is much more effective and has less side effects as compared to gabapentin. Secondly at the same time start using OTC vitamin B12 supplements as they can be helpful here as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/