Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Right now he is not taking any benzodiazepen. Dr Muneeb said

Customer Question

Right now he is not taking any benzodiazepen. Dr Muneeb said we should try low dose of benzodiazepen since he is restless all night. M9ves his legs prays to God for forgiveness but is not able to tell us what is bothering him. I want to know what can we give him to make him comfortable. He is taking sinemet, evokalm (quietpine),irebrestran, hydrochlorthiazide, zoloft (anti depressant),clopidogril, aspirin, zyluric and atrostatin for cholesterol.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I have read your conversation with the other expert as well. The reason as to why the doctor would have stopped alprazolam in his case could have been related to other issues but not stroke. Alprazolam is NOT contraindicated in patients with stroke and similarly neither is any other benzodiazepine. Small doses can be used in night especially in patients in whom there are problems like the ones you are describing. But if you want another option apart from benzodiazepines then there are other options,

Rotiginone

Pramipexole

Also you can also have your doctor change the timings of the medications so that the drugs which cause sedation are used at night like quietapine and zoloft. If you still want something else then there is always the option of Lyrica or Neurontin which are completely different from all other drugs, these drugs have also been known to control abnormal movements of the legs at night. Clonidine is another option which can be considered as well. So in short the following drugs can be used (since benzos are not preferred by your doctor),

1) Lyrica

2) neurontin

3) pramipexole

4) Rotiginone

5) Clonidine

Now you have several options which can be tried.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Are you there?