Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have a twelve year old daughter. She was born with a rare

Customer Question

Hi- I have a twelve year old daughter. She was born with a rare genetic deletion of the CHD2 gene. She has one of the smallest deletions ever recorded. we are currently being treated at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. The main side affects of her condition are seizures and learning disabilities. she is high functioning and has not had a seizure for over a year. She currently is taking 1200mg of Trileptal- 600mg in morning and 600 at night. she has done very well on the drug and has not had a seizure while taking trileptal, however a severe side affect has been weight gain and swelling. She was normal weight before taking it and now has gained 30 lbs.
we are seeing an endocrinologist in early November and we are having her thyroid and pituitary checked. She does not overeat.
My questions are;
have you heard of people gaining weight on this drug?
can it interrupt your metabolic functioning?
Do you have any suggestions or recommendations? are there other ASD that are better with weight gain and swelling?
Seriously worried that we will now have another medical condition on our hands if we don't get her weight under control.
thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I have heard of this effect with the drug. It is good you are seeing an endocrinologist to rule out other causes.

However, I think it is definitely the drug

1)It won't interfere with metabolic function. She will go back to normal when off it.

2)I would ask about keppra or vimpat. Both have very low side effect profile

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)
if you have more questions, just reply