Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have just banged my hand and discoloured swelling about an

I have just banged my hand and discoloured swelling about an inch in diameter has appeard on knuckle of my middle finger. It seems to be reducing in size and the only pain is now like a mild bruise. I have an air flight tomorrow so concerned about thrombosis.How do I know this is vein and not arterial damage.Should I put ice on it? Thank you.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Health good.A little overweight.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no. no serious illnesses.I smoke cigarettes, 10 a day, I rvery arely drink alcohol.

Hi there. This discoloration is likely the result of small broken blood vessels under the skin from the trauma of hitting your hand. This is the origin of ecchymosis (bruising) and may lead to a hematoma (blood ball) under the skin. This is NOT the same as thrombosis (a blood clot) that occurs in the legs and poses a danger of breaking off and traveling to the lungs.

The treatment for this would be rest (avoidance of further injury), elevation above the level of the heart, ice and motrin (if you tolerate it). You can safely travel with such an injury without risk.

Hello. How is your hand doing today? Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No followup questions except could you check if I paid twice in error.
Your answer was most helpful,confirmed my lay observations and meant i did not panic when my hand had turned purple by the time I arrived at the airport.Next it went brown.The vein still looks enlarged but no pain and I am aiming for total heal.Thankyou,KS

You have not provided a positive rating yet, so you have not been charged for this question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry about that. I have rated and reviewed now. Thanks again.Best wishes,KS

Thanks for using our service. Hope all works out for the best for you.