Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I need an orthopedist to answer this question------------I

Customer Question

I need an orthopedist to answer this question------------I am totally confused by the following. I have trocantronic(sp?) hip bursa inflamation with some liquid. It is the result of years of repetitive exercise, sports, and a fall off my bike.I am 78 years old and in pretty good health. I like the idea of PRP. However, the PRP doctor wishes to take me to his friend, an orthopedic surgeon, to first do a possible aspiration and definitely a steroid injection(which i am against). In addition the PRP doctor wants to give me the PRP injection right after the steroid injection,in the same session. This doesn't make sense to me and i can't seem to get a straight answer from him.What should i do? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As i said, i must hear from an orthopedic person.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are having hip pain. I am not an Orthopedist but I will give you a logical/medical response. If you don't agree, I will opt out and let you wait for an Ortho doc to respond.

The answer to your question is if you receive both the steroid and the protein rich plasma at the same time, how do you know which one , if either, helped you to reduce or eliminate your pain. I am familiar with PRP and have not found it to be very effective in treating large joint disease/pain. The steroid injection alone may provide short term relief after the fluid is removed. The anti-inflammatory action of the steroid is beneficial.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

If you are not satisfied, let me know and I will opt out to allow another expert to respond to your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really need an orthopedist to answer my question. Thank yo.