Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

My husband has had common MS symptoms for two months, and

Customer Question

My husband has had common MS symptoms for two months, and responded very well to five days of prednisone we talked an ER doctor into giving him. Once it was finished his symptoms returned and progressed. He finally got in to see the neurologist and again were able to get some prednisone and today he's feeling much better. His MRI of the brain showed "punctate FLAIR hyperintense focus in the left anterior centrum semiovale", but the impression said "Normal noncontrast brain MRI". We are confused about what condition he has when the doctor said his MRI isn't consistent with MS and his tick borne illness blood work came back negative too. What might we be dealing with? Something is definitely wrong. His arms are both weak, he has difficulty walking and even driving. He has pain in his arms and legs, blurred vision, headaches, difficulty finding words and occasionally trouble speaking. What can we do?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

he needs a repeat MRI scan of the brain with gadolinium contrast to best look for MS plaques in the brain

he may also need a spinal tap to check for olidobands in the CSF fluid (which are not in the blood) to check for MS

you should ask his neurologist for these MS tests