Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Is it possible for a blood clot to break off of plaque built

Customer Question

Is it possible for a blood clot to break off of plaque built up in a carotid artery and cause hemianopsia?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

yes, it is possible for a clot or plaque to break off in your carotid artery and spread to the brain to cause a stroke and damage part of the brain and cause hemianopsia or decreased vision or blindness in half the visual field

did this happen to you?

did you have a brain MRI scan to look for signs of stroke brain damage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had a vascular surgeon tell me that my hemianopsia was caused by clot breaking off of plaque built up in my carotid artery and a neurologist tell me that that wasn't possible because the occipital lobe is not supplied by the carotid arteries.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

there is the circle of willis in your brain where clots from your carotid artery can get to the occipital lobe of your brain.