Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I need some feedback as to what may going on with my scalp.

Customer Question

I need some feedback as to what may going on with my scalp. So about a year ago, I developed this intense head itching that I now am convinced is nerve related. these episodes were far apart and would only last a day and then be gone. My theory has been that it is related to hormone changes as I am going into menopause. That leads me to present time. It has been 6 weeks since I hit my head extremely hard on a book shelf, in which I had mild tension headaches for a few weeks after may have had a mild concussion. I now have a very sensitive scalp, extremely sensitive. Just touching it lightly, I feel sensitivity. What is really problematic is trying to wash my hair. Because of the itching, I tried coconut oil and Head and shoulders. After attempting to lightly rub these into my scalp, just the rubbing started this burning sensation in my head which lasted 2 hours after I got out of the shower, not to mention the intense itching. There is nothing in my scalp that indicates a skin condition, just a few dry flakes. After a few hours, the burning calmed down, but now my scalp is even more sensitive and just lighty touching the scalp, makes my head feel sensitive and sometimes can produce a slight headache. This hasn't gotten better since I hit my head. I had the itching before the head hit, but things got worse afterward. I wait about a week between hair washings and just dread trying to rub my head. I have avoided going to my salon to color my hair, which is past due because I know he will have to scrub my head to rinse out the color. I am not sure what to do at this point or why this is happening. I saw a neurologist who doesn't see anything unusual in the scalp or any neurological symptoms. I really want to get my hair colored, but not sure if I should rub the head hard, if this would cause further issues. What are your thoughts on this?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 19 days ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Can you upload some pictures?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can youbforward my question to a neurologist?