Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Dr Love Is stem cell transplant a viable option for bidlging

Customer Question

Dr Love
Is stem cell transplant a viable option for bidlging discs. Does it reduce the size of the disc buldge. I would consider that for my l5-s1 disc problem. Is it also available for the cervical spine.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 23 days ago.

Stem cell transplants is really too early to know if this is going to be effective or safe. The injections always carry the risk of infection.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
this question was sent to dr love. please forward question to him
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 23 days ago.

The other expert is correct that it is too early for this to be considered standard care, but there is more detail that you may want to consider.

At this point, there has only been a limited number of cases in which stem cell treatment has been used for degenerative disc disease. It has only been used thus far in people that have been treated with conservative management and have persistent symptoms, and it is usually considered as an option to try to avoid surgery.

In these limited number of cases, there has only been a minority that have noticed significant improvement, but from the perspective of being able to avoid surgery, the doctors performing the studies consider it to have some promise and warranting further study.

Since it is not yet considered standard therapy, it is therefore considered experimental therapy. There are some ongoing research into whether this can help people with degenerative disc disease. If you want to be considered for inclusion into any ongoing research, this is a topic that you would need to broach with the doctor at the Cleveland Clinic if you are one of the people that do not respond to conservative treatment. Obviously, if you do respond well to conservative treatment, there would be no need to consider stem cell treatment. But if the symptoms persist, you could only consider such treatment in an experimental protocol, which may be able to be done at Cleveland Clinic.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
i would be interested if my leg doesnt improve for the lateral disc impingement. the therapist said she wouldnt do lumbar traction because of the lateral disc.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 22 days ago.

As I said above, if it does not improve with conservative management, then you can discuss it with the Cleveland Clinic, which is an excellent research hospital. Research protocols frequently have strict inclusion and exclusion criteria, so there is no guarantee that it would be an option, but that would be the facility at which the discussion should occur.