Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I was pushing and pulling my duck boat through the woods and

Customer Question

I was pushing and pulling my duck boat through the woods and when I was done I had a bump on the top of my head. I did not hit it and after about 6 hours the bump was gone. Could I have done something to my brain?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask did you have any headaches? Vomiting? Blurring of vision? Any numbness or weakness in the limbs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a headache later in the afternoon

Well from what you are describing it is HIGHLY unlikely that you did something to your brain because if you had then you would have developed any of the above symptoms which i mentioned. Since you didnt develop any of teh symptoms this indicates that the bump was most likely located in the soft tissues of the head. Secondly a bump on the head doesnt mean that you have damaged your brain, infact in most cases it simply indicates that you have developed a soft tissue swelling, only if you had fractured your skull would a bump on the head be significant. Now the headache which you mention is UNLIKELY to be related to teh bump on the head, it is likely to be due to dehydration or the strenous exercise which you did in the woods.

So all in all, i would advise you to relax as you have NOT damaged your brain in anyway. The bump is likely to be due to an insect bite, allergic reaction to something in the woods etc since it disappeared on its own. It is not anything to worry about.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It just seemed weird to have a lump show up about the size of a golf ball and just go away. It has never happened before

It is likely to be due to an allergic reaction to a plant etc in the woods. A bump on the head cannot be related to the brain like this because the brain would have to go through the skull in order to extrude out into the scalp. Since there was no trauma it is unlikely that this could have affected the brain in ANY way. Bumps or swellings like these which appear and disappear quickly are commonly associated with either insect bites or allergic reactions, in either case if the swelling has disappeared nothing needs to be done.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else?