Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am 71 years old and have numbness and tingling on the left

Customer Question

I am 71 years old and have numbness and tingling on the left side of my body from the top of my head to the bottom of my left foot and toes. It happened all of a sudden, started at the top of my head and worked its way down the left side of my body in several minutes. It happened about four years ago. I had brain scans and other testing at the time to determine if I had a stroke or some other brain incident, all of which came back negative. Neurological testing with regard to strength and motor reflexes were normal. The condition is more irritating than debilitating and I continue to work as a marine engineer on merchant ships. What causes this condition? Is it the result of spinal compression or did I have some sort of brain incident that didn't show up on subsequent testing?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

did you have a closed brain MRI scan with contrast?

did you have a total spine MRI scan with contrast? you should get a spine MRI scan.

usually a pinched nerve in the neck would not cause numbness and tingling on the top of the head, unless the pinched nerve is at C2 or C3 level high up in the neck.