Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

Just been diagnosed with tarlov cyst, finally have an answer

Customer Question

just been diagnosed with tarlov cyst, finally have an answer to the pain in my hip and down my leg. have an apt with neurosurgeon, hoping he will not take it lightly as I see from other post.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: ice packs help, but sleeping is the worse, can't get in a position good enough. its like having a constant tooth ache, and now beginning to not have full bending of leg to walk up stairs
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had migranes for 35 years, thinking it has been stress, or sinus,now wondering if this has been my cause
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

did you have a hip MRI scan?

how old are you?

you have a tarlov cyst in your hip? it could be pressing on siatica nerves causing pain going down into your hip and legs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
had hip and leg mri scan
I am 60 years old
scan showed cyst on the sacrum bone
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I see.

that cyst can be drained with a needle depending on how large it is and that could take pressure off of your nerves going into your hip and leg.

hopefully that can be done and you would not need surgery to remove the cyst.

talk to your surgeon about that option.

it can depend on the location of the cyst and if it is accessible with a needle to drain it.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using