Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Can someone please assist me. I get very strange "attacks"

Customer Question

The symptoms is treating following :
1. My head starts turning and I am totally off balance
2. My nose starts burning
3. The right side of my face goes numb and droop
4. I struggle to swallow and my voice change
5. My right arm goes numb but it pain
This last for about 7 - 10 minutes and then it goes away but comes back within a few minutes. Last night the attack game back 3 times
After the attack goes away I have a terrible headache
I am not on a medical aid and have therefrom gone to any doctor with this
Your asststance would be highly appreciated
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any other medical conditions? Any medications that you might be using? Any numbness or weakness in the arms or legs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I use Nexium for ulcers. I use Urbanol and Cilifit for stress

Thank you for the additional information

The first thing which comes to mind is that you could be suffering from intermittent TIAs or transient ischemic attacks. These are actually mini strokes in which a small blood clot would move to the blood vessels in the brain and block circulation in the brain for a short period of time before getting dislodged. These mini strokes are warning signs of an impending bigger attack, these mean that you NEED to get treated as soon as possible because if you dont you could develop a catastrophic attack which could leave you paralyzed. Also from teh symptoms which you are describing it sounds like that you could be developing problems in the brain stem which is most crucial part of the brain and if it is damaged it can lead to loss of consciousness, inability to breathe etc. The first step here would be to get the following tests done,

1) MRI of the brain

2) Doppler ultrasound of the neck

3) EKG

4) Echocardiography

5) A complete neurological examination

This is something which CANNOT be disregarded and infact this needs to be managed IMMEDIATELY in the ER. I would STRONGLY urge you NOT to wait any longer and have this evaluated IMMEDIATELY. Please go to the ER or the urgent care center.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only have the numbness in my left arm when this "attack" happens

the numbness in the right side of teh face and the left arm CONFIRMS that a blood clot is getting lodged in the brain stem region of the brain, please do not delay and have this evaluated by getting a MRI of the brain ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.